Sunday, January 25, 2009

Why is there so much hype about Slumdog Millionaire?

I just don't understand the hype surrounding the movie! It has got the Golden Globe for the best picture; It has got 10 Oscar nominations; some Indians are all praise for the movie while others are too critical. I don't think it is worth the attention.


The first time I heard about it was about 3 months back when I read Roger Ebert's review of the movie and how he had said after a viewing in Toronto that it would win the Audience Award. I was intrigued by the storyline and saw it as soon as I got the opportunity. I found it good and entertaining but not as great as it was being made out to be.


I have seen far better films during the year which should beat this hands down. Talking about Oscars I feel that they are a bunch of jokers. Though they honour some good performances from time to time they are not the best judge of which are the best performances of the year. Just as an example, would you believe that a movie like 'The Shawshank Redemption', which has been voted as the number one movie of all time by millions of IMDb users, didn't receive a single Oscar!

About all the criticism showing India in a bad light, it's a Goddamn movie! If you didn't like it just ignore it. If someone says that westerners don't show the dirty side of their country I will point out many movies which clearly do the same.

Another thing which amuses me is that loads of Indians, esp. the Indian media, seem to feel proud that this movie has been nominated for Oscars. I don't understand why the pride! The movie has been made by a Hollywood studio and by a Hollywood Director. This is not an Indian movie, period!

5 comments:

  1. Agree on the awards part - Its not the best criteria to form your opinion about a movie. But I did like the movie.

    Thanks for dropping by my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fail to understand the hype and hoopla surrounding Slumdog..The India media seems to have lost it..

    But Boyle has every right to creative liberty as a filmmaker..I was shocked at Amitabh's nonsensical comment..

    And I must say- A. R Rahman is a ROCK STAR..Not bcoz he has 3 Oscar nominations to his credit, but bcoz of his body of work..I am just in awe of this man..I truly admire him..ROJA, DIL SE, SWADES...Man! he rocks! and JIYA SE JIYA (the free hugs song) is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Rakesh: Thanks to you too for dropping by :)

    @ Swats: Like I posted in Rakesh's blog asking whether you have read AB's blog? I am sure you too read what was printed by the media. If you go and read what he wrote you will find that the media found ways to twist everything that he said!

    ReplyDelete
  4. IJD, I just had to see what Amitabh said about this movie. And I think what he said on his blog http://bigb.bigadda.com/page/6/ is definitely in the same vein as what other nationalists have been saying about the movie.

    He first starts of with a depiction of beggars in Paris which he mistook for fans. And then in that context he says that "Perceptions differ, but the reality of life and existence, unchanged"

    And goes on "If SM projects India as Third World dirty under belly developing nation and causes pain and disgust among nationalists and patriots, let it be known that a murky under belly exists and thrives even in the most developed nations. Its just that the SM idea authored by an Indian and conceived and cinematically put together by a Westerner, gets creative Globe recognition. The other would perhaps not."

    His grudge is two fold:
    1. Every country has poverty - Yah right and the level of poverty is definitely the same Mr. Bachchan and that is why you mistook those beggars in Paris as your fans - weren't they dressed in almost nothing? How couldn't you spot a beggar from a fan? And were they as many in number as you find in India? Wow, I gotta go to Paris to see beggars... Really.

    2. Indian escapist cinema doesn't get appreciation at the International awards though it is immensely popular: Well why should it? Even you agree to the fact that awards are something not everyone has a consensus on. And everyone shares this grudge - you, me and even Amitabh but then to take this out on the accolades won by SM, this goes beyond a regular grudge - this certainly has a nationlist colour on it.

    And pls. continue your discussions on my blog, we're all here for the same purpose, arguing about things we are passionate about :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Rakesh: I guess you are right...there is definitely some nationalistic tendencies...but the media also makes a mountain out of a mole...

    ReplyDelete