Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Reservation Road

I am curious to know what I would do if I were responsible for an accident. Let’s say I am driving a car on a dark night and suddenly on a bend I see a child standing in my way. It’s too late for me to swerve around and save the child. I try my best but still hit him! What should I do? Should I stop the car and check on the child or just run away from the scene of the accident? Stopping the car wouldn’t be an easy task as I might be charged for reckless driving and sentenced to jail! Running away seems easier – let’s do it!

Let me change places with the father of the child. I stand there near the road and suddenly I see a car hurling towards my dear child. There is nothing I can do about it! My son is hit by a car and it doesn’t stop to help! I rush to my son who is lying in a pool of blood but it’s too late. A few minutes later the police are there and my son’s body is taken away for post-mortem.

What do you think would be my mental state in either case? Let me tell you what happens in ‘Reservation Road’ from where this scene is taken.

Dwight Arno (Mark Ruffalo) is the guy who was driving while Ethan Learner (Joaquin Phoenix) is the father. Dwight’s life becomes miserable. He is so affected by guilt that he decides to hand himself over to the police. Ethan is burning with rage to find out the perpetrator and punish him. He even tries to take things in his own hands. Such is the irony of fate that Ethan goes and hires Dwight as his lawyer to help him in this case. There is no running from it as far as Dwight is concerned.

I don’t know what I would do if I was Dwight. May be I would be as affected as him but whether I would decide to hand over myself to the police is a matter of conjecture. If I was Ethan I guess I would have been enraged and bayed for the blood of the guy who was driving.

What would you do if it was you in place of Dwight or Ethan?

7 comments:

  1. Cruel! Thats what I thought when I first started reading but then realised you're talkin bout a movie. Well I've skipped the paragraph about what happens in the movie but sure seems like an interestin plot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a person, I take full accountability for my mistakes.. I am not the kind to blame God or my parents or anyone else for the mistakes I make in life..

    So if I'm involved in a knock-down accident, I'd rush the person to the hospital..I just wudnt hv the heart to walk away..

    If I was Ethan, I wud have fainted..really! I'd be tooo shaken to react..

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Rakesh - I keep having thoughts like these while watching movies...and I sure do watch a lot of them :D Thanks to movies I have done a lot of research on varied topics...

    @ Swats - I would say that it's easier said than done...I am not sure what I would have done but with the boy's father right there and a possibility of serving a jail sentence would surely deter me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess we have discussed this...saying that you would hand yourself over to the police is the easy thing to say...but wud u be actually able to do it if it happens to you? i really dont know :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Rebel: that's exactly I was trying to say to Swats who very conveniently said that she will stop and help but the possibility of a long jail sentence is a big enough deterrent for most people

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only the situation could tell how i would react. But u seem to watch movies by putting yourself in the characters shoes.

    I have not seen the movie but the plot reminds me of another movie called CHANGING LANES starring samuel jackson and ben affleck. It was remade as Taxi No 9211. Its similiar in the sense that a accident brings the worst out of the two people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Suresh: Welcome to my blog :)
    I dont watch movies by putting myself in the shoes of the character but on a lot of occasions I have thought about what happened in the movie and also researched a lot about the things shown in the movie...I find it very exciting...

    I haven't seen the movie you mentioned...may be I will see it in the near future...is it any good?

    ReplyDelete