Monday, March 9, 2009

NYC to Kolkata

After 6 months in NYC I finally got to come to Kolkata, my home. I was really excited because I really needed a break from work. The last 3-4 days before I left for home were very hectic with loads of work and shopping. I barely managed 14-15 hours of sleep in the 3 days prior to my departure and was hoping to get some sleep on the flight.

When my flight was ready to leave I noticed that there was no one sitting in the 2 seats next to me and I was happy thinking that I would get to stretch. This was the first time I was traveling Economy as on previous occasions my company had paid for my trips. However, my happiness was short-lived as within 10 minutes of flying, an old Caucasian lady came and sat there saying that her entertainment system was not working...I had to make do with just one seat :(

Even after trying my best I just couldn't sleep. My situation was such that I was extremely sleepy but I still found no sleep. After 14 hours of torture I landed at Delhi Airport and had to wait there for about 3 hours to catch the connecting flight to Kolkata. At the airport there was a guy who kept on staring at me. Finally after some time he approached me and asked me whether I was from Kolkata and I replied yes. After a couple more questions he introduced himself saying that he knew me but I didn't recognize me. There was a friend with him. I was glad to have found some company to spend time at the Delhi Airport.

Throughout my stay with them I kept on cribbing about the administration at the Airport. To my dismay I could make out that they found me snobbish. They felt that I had been in the US for only 6 months and I was making those comments. However, I have been cribbing about these things since ages and there was nothing wrong about my cribbing. Just because we are Indians doesn't mean that the poor administration is tolerable.

Finally, after another 2 hour journey I landed at the Kolkata Airport. Luckily, I was the first person in the immigration queue and even better that I was the first one to get my suitcase. I rushed outside to see my parents standing there...

11 comments:

  1. Oh hoooo....when i read, 'i saw a guy staring at me', you really got me excited n all....damn you...what a boring ending to what could have been a lovely short romantic fling in the airport loo...:P
    waise delhi airport has become really cool yaar...dont know where you landed...actually the departure terminal has been renovated...not the arrival one...but i guess in a yr's time, it will look good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cribbing just gets too much at times honestly. I for one, absolutely love it when I go back home. I'm so awed with the place and the smells, I can't think of anything to crib about.

    Yes, things look awry but I find them rather humourous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Rebs - Mujhe kya apne jaisa samajh rakha hai :P
    the place where we had to wait for the connecting flight was more like a bus stand than an airport lounge...

    @ Rakesh - I look at things as they are and I dont have the emotional attachment...though I really care about India doing well and becoming a developed nation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Doe,

    Poor administration is definitely NOT tolerable but cribbing endlessly is no solution..

    I'm sure thres nothing like coming bac to ur homeland :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Rakesh and Swats - I think I made it seem as if I cribbed continuously. Well that was not exactly the case but yeah I did crib about a few things. The reason I get so pissed off at these things is because of the lack of political will among the ruling parties to further India's development which hurts. IMHO India can become a much better country if these people put in the right effort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh ok..I agree India has the potential to become a better country

    PS: Calcutta reminds me of mishti doi..I loveeee mishti doi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Completely - India has a lot of potential.

    And about NCFOM, I guess, right from the first time when Javier strangles the sherrif with his handcuffs, you can't help but be amazed with the awe he exudes. The scene with the old man in the shop where he asks him to call the coin... too good.

    I felt, basically, what you always say, that why on earth, aren't Indian movies so basic yet hard hitting (except a few maybe).

    The cat and mouse game without any nonsensical background music is stark and violent.

    Every episode of Javier and that guy (don't remember his name) coming close to each other is thrilling.

    But like everyone else, I felt, the ending was a bit too long after the thrill ended. Then I came to know that the book on which the movie was based had a different sequence of events for the ending, which actually sounded much more appropriate. But neverthless, great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Swats - I just love mishti doi...I can give up any other sweet for it...I really miss it when I am away :(

    @ Rakesh - I loved Javier's acting in the movie and will not hesitate to say that he is definitely one of the most ruthless villains in cinema history. However, I did not enjoy the movie and thought that it was overhyped. It seemed like a nonsense cat and mouse game and that too extremely boring. To some extent, my discontent with the movie was because of the hype surrounding it and the expectations I had built around it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its funny how people react to bad admin.. We as Indians have been cribbing for eons...So whats now.. You didnt mention who the person was, as he said he knows you.. Im just curious...


    Write poetry

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ workhard - dont take this as bragging but I was very famous in the academic circles in Kolkata...there were a lot of people who knew my name and/or face but I didn't know them...so he was just another one of those guys from Kolkata...a fellow CA from the same batch...If I remember correctly he said he had seen me with some common friend...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, just curious to know since you mentioned it in thepost in a mysterious way. :)

    ReplyDelete