Thursday, April 16, 2009

Movies and Books

I used to be a voracious reader till I was in school but stopped after I got into serious studying. Recently I started reading books once again. The recent reading spree has a trend to it - I have been reading a lot of books which have movies based on them and have been seen by me.

There are loads of movies based on books. Some examples that come to mind immediately are The Godfather and Lord of the Rings. It is a widely held opinion that a book is always better than the movie based on it. There is no way to prove this.

The books that I have read recently include 'The Boy in the Striped Pajamas' and 'Silence of the Lambs'. Currently, I am reading 'The Reader'. I had also started reading 'Lord of the Rings'. My shelf has books like 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest', 'Oil', 'No Country For Old Men' and 'Revolutionary Road' which are yet to be read. The only book I can remember having read before watching the movie is 'The Godfather'.

The reason I have written the above is because I find it no fun reading a book after watching the movie. I know the story and there is no suspense left. Since I do not have ample instances of watching the movie after reading the book I can't generalise that it's the same in that case too. However, my gut says that it should be a lot better in the latter case. What do you say?

4 comments:

  1. Hmm... I had read Kiss the Girls by James Patterson and then saw the movie... Both seemed Good..

    Then there was Nancy Drew... Though the movie was not that good but Emma Roberts fitted the role of Nancy Drew pretty well....

    But nowadays I am not much into reading... so movies is what i prefer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup completely agree, watching a movie after reading the book is still interesting but reading a book after watching the movie should be so boring.

    I mean, when you read a book you try and visualise the scene the author creates but if you've already seen the scene, you can't visualise anything else. You just want to skip the page.

    On the other hand, if you've read the book, you then watch the movie, a lot of times, you feel you've seen the exact same scene in your mind but at other places, you feel that the treatment is so different from what you had in mind. Very exciting.

    I had actually seen one of the Harry Potter movies after reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with u..
    I read Chetan Bhagat's 'One night@the call centre'..It was ok..I watched the film and I was sooo put off..

    I don't think onscreen adaptation of a book works..But I guess NAMESAKE ws an exception..

    Has SHANTARAM released? (Gregory David Roberts)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Suresh - I didn't like Kiss the Girls...seemed like the usual thriller...nothing new in the movie...haven't seen Nancy Drew...it's a difficult choice for me between movies and books and I can say that for the time being movies have won...

    @ Rakesh - You hit the nail on the head when you said that you just want to skip the page...that's exactly what I have been feeling...I have just read one HP book and that too was after seeing the movie...

    @ Swats - I thought that book was horrible and I just couldn't finish it...din't even know there was a movie on One Night...Namesake was amazing...haven't read the book but the movie was really good...couldn't imagine Kal Penn in a role like that...Shantaram hasn't released yet...slated for a 2011 release

    ReplyDelete