Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Believe it or not

There is no neutral ground in the Universe; every square inch, every split second, is claimed by God and counter claimed by Satan
- C.S.Lewis

Do you believe in God? If yes, then please continue reading. If you don't then I am not sure how much of this is relevant but you can continue reading for academic purposes.

Do you believe in the Devil/Satan? I am guessing that a lot of people would answer this question as 'no'. I would like to argue here about the existence of a Devil.

First, let me try and provide a perspective about this philosophical discussion. As expected it is a movie which prompted me to raise this question. Sometime back a friend of mine had suggested a movie called 'The Exorcism of Emily Rose'. He told me that it's not the usual cliched horror movie. Recently I gathered the courage to watch this horror movie alone in my apartment.

The premise of the movie is that a priest is being tried for causing the death of a possessed girl by performing an exorcism. This girl starts having visions and is diagnosed with epilepsy. When the medicines don't help, her parents are convinced that she is possessed. They ask the local priest to perform an exorcism. One fine day the girl refuses exorcisms and stops taking her medicines. Naturally, she dies very soon, thereafter. The priest is charged with criminal negligence.

I found one particular scene in the movie particularly disturbing but worth mentioning. Although it may not add to the original purpose of the post but I think that was the one scene I will remember forever. When the priest is performing the exorcism, he asks the demon to name itself. Instead of speaking out the name she starts saying, "1,2,3,4,5,6 take your pick". Then she starts speaking 6 names and it dawns upon the viewer that there is not one but six demons inside her. The last name she says is that of Lucifer. Even the thought of Lucifer possessing one is scary to me!

After watching this movie I had a long discussion about the movie with the friend who had recommended it to me. I asked him what was it that he liked about the movie and this is what he said:

"The movie is not judgmental. It does not take a stand whether the "ghosts" exist or not it just tells two different points of views which are equally strong and leaves it to the audience. A very thought provoking movie "

He continued:

"Also, I have always believed that there is nothing absolute truth in life and this movie brings this thing to the fore. Second, I never believed in ghosts and supernatural things but this movie gave me a different tangent to think on. There are things which you might not have experienced till date but might exist around you."

Coming back to the discussion at hand. My argument in favour of the devil's existence is summarised in the lines I wrote to my friend:

"I really don't know why the world is out there to prove that there is no such thing as the devil...even the bible says that there is Satan...our holy books...The Bhagvad Gita gives instances of evil...from a more rational point of view...the world is bipolar...there always has to be two sides to everything...so if there is God then there must be a devil..."

What do you say?

P.S. - I started writing this post yesterday and it became a difficult night for me...hope it's not the same today...

6 comments:

  1. Interesting post :)

    First things first: U have the guts to watch a horror film all by urself..How did u manage to sleep? I don’t watch horror films at all!

    I strongly believe in God..and I’d like to believe God exists.. thre is some POWER tht governs my life, tht controls my life, tht guides me, tht dictates my life, tht expedites my decision making process..

    God has helped me in more ways than one..I strongly acknowledge God’s presence in my life..thre have been so many instances…

    It’s my personal belief tht God exists..I cant convince anyone or prove it to anyone..

    And yeah, devils exist as well… My granddad told me tht when u do bad, it comes back to u in some way or the other…

    I have this major ghost phobia also..My cuzzins played a cheap prank on me when I was abt 10..thereafter, I acquired this phobia..I have always been very scared of spirits and ghosts…My mom tells me tht ghost is nothing but fear in my mind..i have never seen a ghost but I still believe they do exist..somewhre arnd us..

    I don’t know how logical my comment is :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really embarrassed..My comment is a post in itself..its just too long..i did not realise it..sorry..and serenegurl is me only..

    ReplyDelete
  3. The movie was very good.

    And the characterizations was just great. The lawyer for the state who fights against the priest is a god fearing and a regular church goer whereas the lady who fights for the priest is one who doesn't really much believe in God or church.

    I believe that devil exists. It is to keep things balanced, may be, I am not sure. For those who don't believe, remember what kevin spacey told in The Usual Suspects, "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist" :)

    Unfortunately I had seen Vikram Bhat's 1920 first and then this movie. I can't believe how Vikram Bhat can take this true story and get inspired and make a complete horror masala movie. It was an insult to the original.

    If you like this, then you would love The Mothman Prophecies, Henry Poole is here and Awake. All are spiritual movies, the first one seems to be inspired by true life events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Swats - Haha...I do this all the time...watch horror films and then get scared :)
    I too believe that God exists and I can't understand why the scientists in this world are out to prove that the whole universe came to exist on its own...similarly I too believe that spirits do exist...and this believe is what causes the fear...there is nothing to be ashamed about in what you've written...BTW would really like to know what prank did your cousins play on you :)

    @ Suresh - Love Usual Suspects and of course the quote is priceless...see you give another example of a cheap bollywood copy of a hollywood movie...can't we make anything original! Have seen Mothman but the ending just bamboozled me...just couldn't understand what happened...haven't see the other names you mentioned

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the movie too especially because it left the opinion open to the viewer.

    But I actually don't believe completely in God or Devil so no comments... I mean, I do believe in a power, but not too much.

    Secondly, I'm yet to watch a horror film which scares me. Ever since i've left school, i've never been scared watching a movie at least. I am so upset with this trait of myself. I so wish I could be scared watching a horror movie. Otherwise, what's the point in wasting time.

    That's why I watch gory movies instead - Saw series etc. They at least are creepy if not scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Rakesh - Seems like you subscribe to the theory that we are all puppets in the hands of aliens :P

    Wow...I wish I could be like that...not having any fears while watching a horror movie :(

    I usually dont watch horror any more...loved the SAW series initially...though I do watch the new ones they are nowhere as good as the first 2...I would suggest you watch 'Cube'...similar to SAW and very good...

    ReplyDelete