Saturday, May 9, 2009

50 First Dates


‘Imagine having to win over the girl of your dreams…every friggin day’ says the tagline of this movie. ’50 First Dates’ is a romantic comedy featuring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore in the lead where Sandler has to win over Drew everyday. He plays the role of ‘Henry Roth’ who is a vet and enjoys the company of several women but never commits himself to any one in particular. This sequence is broken after he meets ‘Lucy’. He is immediately smitten by her and hopes to win her love. However, the very next day itself, Lucy seems unable to have any remembrance of meeting him altogether. Henry finds out that Lucy is suffering from short-term memory loss and forgets everything the next day. This begins a series of attempts by Henry to win over Lucy everyday.

Henry Roth is every woman’s dream for who would take so much trouble to win over someone’s love knowing well enough that he/she has to perform the same ritual once again, the next day and every following day! Adam Sandler may not be renowned for his romantic acting abilities but he comes up with a very convincing performance. In fact, he possesses a good mix of humour and romance to play the character of Henry Roth. Opposite him is Drew Barrymore who may not be regarded as a great actress by most people but has done a fair job of playing Lucy. Supporting them are Rob Schneider and Sean Astin who account for a lot of humourous moments in the movie.

Though this movie is supposed to be a romantic comedy there are moments where you actually feel very sad. The scene where Henry comes to know about Lucy’s condition and then his confrontation with her dad and brother makes you feel sorry for the poor guy. One wouldn’t like to be in his shoes. Similar is the case when Lucy finds out about her illness from her dad. Those scenes are really touching.

I have seen a lot of romantic movies right from the black & white to the modern era. However, if someone were to ask me to pick one romantic flick it is going to be this one. The movie makes you wonder whether you would have been able to do what Henry Roth does. For me this is the ultimate challenge where your love is put to test everyday!

8 comments:

  1. After seeing Bedtime stories, I have downloaded this movie of Adam Sandler.... Yet to see it...

    This movie was remade in Telugu as Satyabama starring Bhoomika Chawla

    **The movie makes you wonder whether you would have been able to do what Henry Roth does**
    who really would have that much patience....?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the movie for me which made me a Sandler fan...he's done some really stupid movies but I see them...

    If this has been made in telugu then I am guessing a hindi copy is not far...

    About your question...If you truly love someone then I am guessing you should do it...but the real question is how long...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont watch english films but ive seen this one..its a cute film..I liked 'big daddy' also..

    Hw manyyyyy films have u seen, Doe? im amazed at ur knowledge :)

    Is it THE pursuit of happ? and I think Gardener makes a guest appearance at the end of the film??

    Rebel recommended 'shawshank redemption'..hw is it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Swats - haven't seen big daddy but surely love this film...

    As of now my hollywood and other foreign movies add up to 762, give or take a few :)

    Watching movies is a passion and I can spend days talking about them...

    Yup it's THE and not IN :) And yeah the person you see walking by in the end is Gardener...

    I am glad Rebs did something good...Shawshank is my all time favourite movie and I have the opinion that there is probably never going to be a better movie than that...give it a shot and tell me whether you liked it or not...I had written a review for it but will have to make some edits before I paste it here...

    ReplyDelete
  5. 762?????? God!!! I really can't believe this!!

    Chartered Accountant by day, film critic by night? :P

    Do post the review wenever u can :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Swats - I have the whole list...if you want I can send it to you :)

    Actually CA is not my main qualification...it was a stepping stone to greater things :)

    I will make the required changes to the review and post it here...

    ReplyDelete
  7. IJD, saw The Diving Bell and the Butterfly yesterday!!! Amazing movie... Do see it.

    And yes Shawshank is an awesome movie as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Rakesh - I have been meaning to see that movie for some time now...have it on my PC...

    ReplyDelete