Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Thums Up Kid

This incident happened just a little over a year ago and I had written this small piece to describe it.

I was attending a friend's marriage party and decided to have a masala Thums Up. I went to the counter and asked the guy behind it to make one for me. He prepared it very diligently and gave the glass to me. I took it and moved away sipping away to glory. Nothing wrong with it eh! I think I forgot to mention a small part of the story. Let's rewind.

I was attending a friend's marriage party and decided to have a masala Thums Up. I went to the counter and asked the guy behind it to make one for me. He was already making one for someone else. There was a small kid standing at the counter hoping to get one for himself. While the guy was busy making one for me this kid tried to reach for the glass in the guy's hand. When the guy was done he gave the glass to me instead of the child. I moved away sipping away to glory while the kid stood there hoping to get the next glass!

I still can't reconcile to the fact that I took the glass instead of giving it to the kid. Though it might seem like a small thing but I have been unable to put this out of my mind. I don't know what got into me. On 99% of the occasions I would have given the glass to the kid!

7 comments:

  1. Wen I read the title, I thought I was in for yet another review :P

    Its very simple..Tht drink was meant for YOU.. U were destined to consume it :D

    y can't u get over this small little incident? its kind of weird

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story is ok but what is "Masala" Thumbs Up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like they say, 'dane dane pe khanewale ka naam hota hain' (correct my hindi), that thumbs up had ur name written all over it :)

    Don't carry that guilt feeling da... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Swats - You have stirred the hornet's nest by talking about destiny...do you believe that everything you do is written and that you can't change your future or do you believe that your future is in your hands...I think I need to write a post on this subject...

    Actually it was at that time I couldn't throw this out of my mind for a few days but had forgotten about it till a few days back when I found this little story in one of my archives...

    @ Rakesh - Hahahaha...I knew that someone would pop up that question...I guess Masala Thums Up is only popular in Kolkata...it's nothing...just Thums served with lemon and kala namak...it is just awesome...

    @ Suresh - Actually it is 'daane daane par likha hota hai khanewale ka naam' :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't believe I'm slated for what is fated..however, thre r somethings tht v have no control over in our lives..then v r pawns in the hands of fate

    ReplyDelete
  6. What? I enjoyed Terminator Salvation. The action is actually quite good and kept me on the edge.

    The only thing disappointing was the Marcus character, The whole aura surrounding him was destroyed by that stupid explanation by Skynet... They could've made it more complicated instead of trying to explain the premise to 5 year olds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Swats - I am really contemplating a post on destiny and fate...will probably have a discussion on that post about this...:)

    @ Rakesh - I am also thinking of writing a small review of Terminator Salvation...may be we can discuss what was good and what was bad about the movie there :)

    ReplyDelete