Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Shawshank Redemption




The Shawshank Redemption is a movie about hope, faith and friendship. The friendship that is depicted in it is of a different kind as compared to most of the other movies. It is a story about two friends, Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins), a white banker wrongly charged with his wife’s murder and Ellis Boyd ‘Red’ Redding (Morgan Freeman), a black convict.



The movie starts with Andy being convicted with the murder of his wife and her lover. He is sentenced to a double life imprisonment and he lands up in Shawshank prison. Here he meets Red who is also serving a life sentence. Red is a guy who is ‘known to locate certain things from time to time,’ i.e. get things for a price in prison. The ‘sisters’, a bunch of homosexual guys, take a liking for Andy and are always after Andy. Andy lives the usual prison life without ever losing hope. Red, on the other hand, says to Andy that ‘Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.’



One day Andy uses his knowledge to help one of the officers in saving some taxes. Thus, begins a new chapter in his life. News spreads about Andy’s expertise in taxation matters and he starts doing the tax returns for all the prison guards. Warden Samuel Norton (Bob Gunton) comes to know about Andy and engages him in his own financial matters, bulk of which involved covering the illicit money which he earned from various sources. If I say any further I will be spoiling your experience of watching the movie. So all I want to say is go and see it for yourself.



The Shawshank Redemption is an adaptation of the novella ‘Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption’ by Stephen King. Like all the movies adapted from books this arouses the question as to which is better. I have had the opportunity to read the novella as well as watch the movie (the latter a great many times). I liked the novella as well as the movie but I find the movie better. The novella fails to maintain the suspense which is brilliantly done in the movie. Also, the novella isn’t as successful in depicting the friendship of Red and Andy.



The Shawshank Redemption was nominated for 7 Oscars but was unable to win any of those. The best film award went to ‘Forrest Gump’ that year. There has been a lot of debate about which is a better movie and whether Shawshank should have won the Oscar instead of Forrest Gump. I will present a few facts here which or may not mean anything. American Film Institute has ranked Shawshank at number 72 in the list of all time top 100 movies while Forrest Gump has been placed at number 76. IMDb, which is an internet database of movies and ranks movies based on the ratings given by millions of users, puts Shawshank at number 1 (till last year it was at number 2, second only to The Godfather) while Forrest Gump is around 42.



Shawshank was a flop at the box office. There can be many reasons which can be attributed to this. The name in itself was considered to be inappropriate for a movie; most of the movie being shot inside a prison didn’t inspire people to go to the theatre and watch it. As word spread around that this was a really good movie people started renting the VHS and the following year it became the highest rented movie of the year.



Most of the people who have seen the movie will agree with me that for almost 3/4ths of it you enjoy the movie but the last half an hour simply blows you away. Most of the movies which have a twist ending end up not being seen twice but that’s not the case with this movie. When I saw the movie for the first time I liked it but my respect for the movie has been growing with the number of viewings. The more I see it the better I feel about it. There was a period of 4 months when I saw it 3 times. Also, I loved the movie so much that I went on to buy the book ‘Different Seasons’ which contains the novella. By this time I guess most of you would have understood that Shawshank is my favourite movie of all time and I believe that there can never be any other movie which comes close to this.

9 comments:

  1. It's absolutely an awesome movie IJD, Completely agree with you...

    but somehow I find it difficult to name any movie my most favourite. One of my favourite yes... There are a few others in my fav. list as well including

    Last King of Scotland,
    RDB,
    Taare Zameen Par,
    and ya, how can I forget Aviator and Blood Diamond.

    There might be a few more as well actually.

    PS. There's one more movie which I never get bored of watching is Aaja Nach Le. He he, I know, a lot of ppl might find this weird but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank u so much for posting the review :)

    Sounds really interesting..I don't understand y gr8 films bomb at the box office..LAKSHYA is a case in point..(i dont know how relevant this comparison is)..i loveddd it..i can watch it any time..i don't know y it failed..

    @RAKESH
    ROTFLAO..
    i havent seen AAJA NACHLE so its unfair to comment but i still cant stop laafing :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well... I have to yet to see the same... A good friend told me to read the novel and then watch the movie. She is in favor of the novel....

    Well... after reading this review here, It reminded me of Teen deewarein, the movie by Nagesh Kukoonar. Its a great prison movie too...well guess it may be nowhere near The Shaswshank redemption...

    And I saw 50 first dates. I liked it and yes Satyabhama, the telugu movie i mentioned was a remake and that too frame to frame, even the dialgoues. If you like romantic movies, I suggest you try out The Lake House starring Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I Saw "The Wrestler" yesterday... What was the fuss all about? Wasn't anything like Oscar material... But then, what is Oscar material? he he

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Rakesh - You are not the only one who faces that dilemma...most of the times I think it is easy for people to say that these are my top 3 or top 5 but to point out to one movie and say that this is my favourite is not easy...

    My top 3 in order:

    1. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
    2. Apocalypse Now (1979)
    3. Life is Beautiful (1997)

    About Aaja Nachle...I had heard terrible reviews about it...never had any intention of seeing it :) Don't worry everyone has their guilty pleasures ;)

    About The Wrestler...I agree with you...there was no know Mickey Rourke was close to Sean Penn in acting...I think the reason he was being projected as a favourite was because Mickey Rourke had a similar story in real life...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Swats - I agree with you that a lot of gr8 movies flop on the box office which is something one can never quite understand...a recent example is Crash which won the Best Picture Oscar in 2006 but its box office gross was only about $9 million whereas a movie like Wedding Crashers went on to generate box office revenues in excess of $200 million...now there is no doubt in most people's minds which is the superior movie of the two...
    The best example is Citizen Kane (1941) which is considered to be the best movie of all times by most critics (I don't necessarily agree with them). However, it was a box office flop and was booed everytime its name was announced during the oscars ceremony...no doubt it just won a single oscar...
    For Lakshya...I did enjoy the movie in the theatre but there was a stretch of 30 mins which I felt totally diluted the movie and also the fight scenes were too realistic to make out what exactly was happening...
    One of the reasons I think a lot of good movies flop is because of the expectation surrounding them...I have personally experienced that a movie which I have a lot of expectations from turn out to be not so good...and perhaps it is because of the expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Suresh - This is a must watch for any movie-buff...stop reading and get started man :)
    Like I have mentioned in my review, the novel doesn't leave any suspense...now it's upto you whether you want to read a novella which most people haven't even heard of or watch the movie which is universally acknowledged as one of the all time best ones...

    I had started watching 3 deewarein but for some reasons couldn't continue and have never picked it up again...perhaps I will see it again some day...

    Thanks for your suggestion but I have seen The Lake House :)
    Keep your suggestions puring in :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Swats and IJD - I seriously recommend "Aja Nach Le" with a straight face :-|

    But don't see it with any preconcieved notions please. Just sit and watch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is surely one of the best movies I have seen. And as you rightly said, it is the last 45mins which are truly awesome. Shuru mein to mujhe thodi boring lagi (accent pick up karne mein time laga).

    ReplyDelete